6 useful areas for humans you may not know about
- Laboratory research and testing: Rats are commonly used in scientific research to study a wide range of medical and biological issues, such as genetics, disease, and behaviour.
- Drug development: Rats are used to test the safety and effectiveness of new drugs and medical treatments.
- Detection and mine clearance: Rats have been trained to detect landmines and other explosive devices, making them valuable tools in demining operations.
- Search and rescue: Rats have been trained to locate people trapped in rubble or other debris, making them useful in search and rescue operations.
- Therapy animals: Rats can be trained as therapy animals to provide comfort and companionship to people with emotional or physical disabilities.
- Education: Rats can be used in educational programs to teach children about animal behaviour and biology.